10 June, 2009

Memoirs of a mom-to-be


The first trimester
The first trimester? I'd rather call it first Try-mester; for those were `three trying months' for me. Morning sickness, aversion to food and a persistant ennui seemed to have taken over me. I was losing sleep and so was developing those ugly dark circles around my eyes. Not that I didn't have them earlier, but they just got more prominent and I was beginning to look like a Panda bear. That was definitely not the best of times.


On the other hand, my kith and kin were learning of my having gone `the family way' and were congratulating me on the `good news.' With so much happening to me both mentally and physically, I wondered if it really was `good' news.


My OB-GYN had told me not to be weighed down by the uneasiness as the second trimester would soon be there and that, that was going to be the honeymoon period of my pregnancy. Now, that was a flicker of hope, so I waited eagerly. Impatient as I was, I had begun the countown to Week-12, when the first trimester would technically come to an end. Ninety odd days went by and there was no sign of that promising period I was looking forward to. Stupidity! wasn' it? I guess the dreariness of those first three months had made me so irrational.


It was not until a couple of weeks later that it finally happened - what they say -you wake up with a feeling that `something' is missing and you finally figure out that it's the morning sickness. Hurray!!


The second trimester
The honeymoon trimester of preganancy was definitely better, although it was sans the exitement associated with the word honeymoon. Thankfully I was feeling better and eating better too.


My tummy began to stand out and it was bigger than my usual pounch, yet too little to suggest pregnancy. An awkward state that was. I just wished I could stick a little note announcing what stage of life I was in.


As the gestation period progressed there were a whole lot of activities: swallowing pre-natal vitamins, regular visits to the doctor, blood tests, listening to foetal hearbeats and the scans. When it was time for the second scan, everybody I knew and was in touch with, wanted to know what the sex of the baby was. For me that didn't really matter. All I wished for was a little one with no disablities. And ofcourse, the scan tells you only part of it so the worry stayed on for a while.


Another question I was asked every other day was what kind of food cravings I had. Haven't we all heard of expectant mothers yearning for tangy eatables like tamarind and raw mangoes and some of them developing a sweet tooth, longing for chocolates and sweetmeat? For me, there was none of that. There was no turning to baking or making my hubby go on a treasure hunt. Sadly I missed this kind of fun. We had nothing like that adventure that Preity Zinta and Saif Ali Khan had, one midnight in Salaam Namaste. That would have made my pregnancy more happening and my blog more interesting. But alas!


The second trimester just blended into The third trimester without any noticeable change such that I was almost oblivious of how far I was in terms of weeks or even months.


It was at this point that a whole new kind of fun came into the picture. The fact that I was getting big in the middle needs no mention. But being oceans apart from friends and family, I was thronged with mails and IMs asking me to send pictures, as they all wanted to see my `new look.' After some procrastination due to some kind of an embarrassment, I finally got down to taking some snap shots and forwarding them. Almost immediately came a chain of replies and comments, and `oh My!' weren't they so amusing; those reactions and the predictions(the boy or girl thing). The guessing game had begun and it was absolute entertainment for me.


The awkwardness had dimmed and I soon became the butt of my own jokes, telling people things like "I now look like I have a basket ball in my tummy." I even told another friend of mine (who calls me Full Moon, thanks to the shape of my face) that if he saw me then, he'd ask me if I had swallowed the moon.


Soon it was time for all the preparations for the `aane waala mehmaan,' as another acquaintance preferred to put it: the baby shopping, hospital tours and watching the oh-so-important birthing videos.


I dont know when exactly it all began, but in the midst of all this activity, the aches and pains began to creep in and remind me that I was in the third trimester of preganancy. Sometimes it was a back pain and sometimes some cramping in my abdomin or calf muscles and sometimes the whole of my system felt stiff. They only got worse as the days went by and just when I thought I could take it no more, they came: those contractions.


I'd rather not go into the nitty gritty of my labour, but one thing I will say: there came a moment when all the unpleasantness of the nine-month journey just faded into nothingness; the moment my little bundle of joy was placed in the cradle of my arms.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Divya,,,,it was indeed interesting to read your "Memoirs of a to-be mom".Though my wife had similar experiences,your article on this is elaborate and very tickling.You have really expressed yourself well

    ReplyDelete