10 September, 2012

Some serious saree-blouse business

Oh, I feel like I'd been gone for a long time. Anyway, I’m back. So what was I doing all these days? Trying to put down some notes for an event I was supposed to compere, looking up trivia questions, cross-checking the answers and tending to a few other things like that. And of course there was all the cooking and cleaning and trying to keep the little one engaged through all of this. In the midst of all that, a wedding anniversary came and went, ever so quietly, that it didn’t really feel like it was a special day. :(

Now preparations for the event also meant pulling out suitcases that haven’t been out of the closet for 365 days at least, and trying to find a saree that I could use. Now finding a saree actually means finding a blouse that fits. The last time I bought a saree and got a blouse stitched for it, was 6 years ago when I was getting ready to enter wedlock. Around then I’d bought quite a few and for next two years I got to wear a few of them for a some friends' weddings, engagement functions and receptions that came my way. Then we moved to CA and now I barely get to see myself in the oh-so-sensual outfit.

In the 6 years that have gone by, there’s been a baby and whole lot of putting-on-pounds. So actually none of those blouses fit me as they are. For those of you who do not know how saree blouses are stitched, let me tell you that the tailors put in 2-3 rows of stitches along the sides. The stitches run up to the end of the sleeves and so if you’ve added some fat to yourself, you can actually rip off a row or two of stitches. As such, I spent a good part of last week, bent over a couple of blouses, working on those threads and hoping that they’d fit me before I got to the last row of stitches.

Finally, feeling I could fight my way into one of them, I tried it and managed to put on the hooks, even. I was examining the fit and feeling quite good about all the hard work when my 3 year old came peeping in. He looked at the strange piece of clothing I had on and said, “No Molu. It doesn’t fit, Molu.” I was wondering what he was talking about, because it really did fit me fine, when he added, "It (the blouse) has become small for you, I can see your tummy!!"

I couldn’t help but burst out laughing. Little does the poor kid know how long (or short) the saree blouse is supposed to be. :D

43 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :)
      I never expected 'that.'
      It was funny and cute.

      Delete
  2. hmmm well i did not need to know about this .. but now thanks to you , I do know how the stitching is done :) he he he


    and yeah I also had a smile after reading the post

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See -- your general knowledge has gone up a few notches :D

      How have you been Bikram?

      Delete
    2. I am doing very good Thank you :)

      and yeah my GK has gone up , I know what to say when they ask me a question on sarees and blouses he he he he :)

      Delete
  3. Awwww...the li'l one is really cute. Perhaps, he has not seen many ladies in sarees! Putting on weight after childbirth is a common malady.
    Kudos...Super Mom!! Re-sizing or altering blouses isn't dat easy! great job!
    And so good to have you back here, Divya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hee!
      Yeah, that's the issue actually; he doesn't get to see too many people in sarees. I guess it's time to make a trip home ;)

      Ah! taking out those stitches - literally a pain in the neck. On one, I had to take out two rows of stitches :D.

      Thank you. And it's so good to see you here again. Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  4. He he ...that was a really cute post :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divya, thanks for sharing the tips of how to fit into a blouse:) It is never too late too learn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! :)
      Thank you for coming by, again.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. :)
      Can't blame him; he doesn't see a lot of people in Sarees. He couldn't get over my bindi and Sindoor too. :)

      Delete
  7. So cute! Blouses are the toughest garments to fit into :) because of their tight fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For him, when his tummy begins to peep, it means it's time to put away the t-shirt coz it's apparently become shorter for him. I guess he thought mommy also got taller and it was time to chuck that blouse. :)

      I swear they are the toughest things to fit into! But I'm also thankful for those extra rows of stitches.

      Delete
  8. The sad part is lesser and lesser people wear the saree now a days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly the most convenient outfit to run about in, I guess that's why.

      But we all still love the saree. We still wear them on special days. :)

      Delete
  9. That is so cute...there is simply nothing to beat the saree however, the blouse is one tough garment to fit into..a proper weight checking piece of clothing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Vandana. The saree is a class apart and those blouses do make us want to keep track of the weight.

      Welcome here.

      Delete
  10. Achoda..:)
    And I love girls in saree..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all.. welcome back. You were missed. :) Thanks for that lovely little brief on how blouses are stitched. Reminded me of old times when I used to watch the tailor go about effortlessly. :)

    Your 3 year old, I tell you, is super duper smart. And super cute too. :)

    Nice lovely little post. :) Don't go into exile again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raj...!
      You too were missing for while. Yeah, I noticed. When I got back and was trying to catch up on my reading I found that you were on exile too. :)

      I'm glad I could impart some saree-blouse knowledge. :)
      Isn't it so fascinating to watch tailors and carpenters at work? They do it all with so much ease. They ARE artists. :)

      Thanks Raj, Thank you so much.

      Delete
  12. Belated Happy Anniversary. Seriously, I don't even know where my Indian dresses are and even if I try to put them on, I bet I will be showing fat everywhere.

    That was such a cute moment you shared with us.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Saru for the wishes, for coming by and for your comment here. :)

      Delete
  13. a very heartfelt post , first time on your blog, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome here, Poonam. I checked your blog and loved it. You'll see me there more often. :)
      Thank you. :)

      Delete
    2. pls do! I love meeting new moms!! stay in touch, subscribed to your blog so that i dont miss out on posts :)

      Delete
  14. I live in India and haven't taken out many of my sarees out. I have to wear some for an upcoming wedding and I too shall have to use your knowledge of altering blouses now D. :) Lil one just cracked me up. Love to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pain, removing those stitches, I'm warning you. :)

      Thank you Swapna.

      Delete
  15. Hahah..A cute post. I didn't know you had a personal blog too. Many times I stopped at your travel blog though :)
    I keep telling my tailors too to have plenty of rows of stitches as my weight keeps fluctuating every other month :P Your kid is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Found in Folsom. (Folsom-Sacramento?)
      Welcome here. I think I've seen your comments on Deb's blog. :)
      Ah the saree blouses! Those extra rows are such a blessing, right? :)

      Delete
    2. Indeed they are.. :)
      Yes, Folsom - sacramento :)

      Delete
    3. My BFF used to live there. :)

      Delete
  16. First of all, welcome back!! You were missed! Thanks for coming around to my blog so that I could connect back with you!
    Second, belated happy anniversary! Hope you do get to do a belated celebration....maybe in your saree!! :D
    Are you getting ready for the Bay area Navrathri celebrations? We will be celebrating Durga Puja this weekend. Best of luck with your compering!
    And, about your cute 3 yr old's statement...tsk tsk!! How come he hasn't yet seen tank tops?!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Roshni. In my saree. No way, that means removing more stitches. I think I'll wait until next Onam to take out another blouse and work on it. :D
      Navrathri -- not really. You have fun.
      That event is over. It's been a month, actually. I've just been putting off writing here. I know, that's bad. But I'd been visiting your blog every now and then and reading about the 'A's.
      I don't think the kid's noticed the short tank tops (the sporty ones). I'm glad he told this to me and not to somebody else at the event. :)

      Delete
  17. I can totally empathize with u on this.

    ReplyDelete